The BLAZEMAN MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP will be presented every December by the Jonathan S. Blais Scholarship Fund to one male and one female member of the Exceeding Expectations team who best demonstrate the personal characteristics and commitment to excellence that made Jon's short life so remarkable.
EE team members who are in high school or who graduated the previous spring are eligible and will be evaluated on the following:
- Works up to his/her potential in school
- Continually sets goals and works to achieve those goals
- Serves as a positive role model for younger EE team members
- Represents the team well at all times
- Is concerned about and helpful to other team members & volunteers
- Finds ways around obstacles in the drive to be successful
- Demonstrates strong moral character and a commitment to being the best he/she can be
The Blais Family will honor each recipient with a commemorative plaque and a $500 college scholarship and will donate an additional $1,500 to the Exceeding Expectations Foundation in Jon's name.
On October 15, 2005, five months after being diagnosed with ALS, teacher Jon "Blazeman" Blais finished the Ironman World Championship in Kailua-Kona, Hawai'i. He died two years later, but his powerful spirit and impassioned commitment to his students live on through such good works as the scholarship fund established in his name.